My Blog List

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Dangerous Place by Jacqueline Winspear

A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs, #11)




This was a download from Edelweiss and aren't I so very very glad I got this.


Set in Gibralter at a time of major conflict - Germans, Americans, the British, the Italians and the Spaniards are all at war with each other. Maisie Dobbs is on her way back home, but emotionally dead. She has lost her husband in a tragic aviation accident and also lost her baby when she was almost full term. She feels she cannot face her family as well as James's family back home and decides to take a break in Gibralter to gather herself, her thoughts and her physical self.


Discovering a body of a photographer was the impetus Maisie needed to get working again. Using all her skills as a private investigator, she puts together pieces of a puzzle which everyone else including Scotland Yard is desperate to cover up. Dealing with the different communities in Gibralter and trying to fathom as to what actually happened is the best part of the story. Apart from the murder and the solving of it, the historical details as to what happened in Gibralter and the various characters who manipulated situations to suit their own countries is very well told.


I liked the detail in this story though for some it may detract from the actual story which is the murder and its investigation. I felt the details added the depth to the background as well.

4 comments:

  1. I have not tried this author, but think I might like to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to get back to this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like this series though have only read the first few books, so I stopped reading your review as I didn't want to get ahead of myself. I must get back to this series. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete