My Blog List

Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Pretender's Lady by Alan Gold


THE PRETENDER’S LADY by Alan Gold




The story was absolutely new to me. I knew of the reputation of Bonnie Prince Charlie but I did not know of the almost "behind the scenes" affair of Flora Macdonald scandalous at the time, especially as she was a country bred girl from whom no one could ever imagine an affair of any kind.

Flora a staunch supporter of the Prince even against the wishes of her family embarks on what would even today be called a huge adventure but after this affair ends in obscurity on an American farm. She becomes a faithful wife and mother, hiding the heritage of her eldest son till the time comes for her to lobby for peace.

Input by Benjamin Franklin and fictionalized history meticulously researched by the author made this story a fascinating one. Detailed in its description of Flora's early life in the crofts on the island of Skye, then extending to the cities and then to the big adventure of founding a farm in America this was a story very well told.

A download from Edelweiss, I was very glad I got to this book.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a story my mom would love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I wouldn't have thought twice about until I read your thoughts --sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good!! I love a good historical fiction story.

    ReplyDelete