My Blog List

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Review - The Island by Elin Hilderbrand




It starts off in an idyllic manner - Birdie arranges a weekend on Tuckernuck Island an island retreat of the Cousins's family used for decades as a summer holiday camp.
Her daughter Chess is getting married and Birdie thinks this will be a good one on one time for her daughter and herself to bond before her upcoming marriage.

Fast forward a bit, Chess has called off the wedding - no reason being given - and worse a couple of days later her ex-fiancee Michael is killed in a climbing accident. Chess feels directly responsible for his death and is distraught. The weekend arranged by Birdie turns into a month and Birdie also manages to rope in Tate the younger daughter and India - the bohemian rebel sister of Birdie.

Well a nice mix so far. Two generations - lots of hidden family history and lots of unresolved issues. A saga of hidden insecurities and passions all being unveiled almost like a drama - Birdie herself ignored and finding love with Hank after so long, Tate falling in love with someone she was always in love with and who did not even know of her existence, Chess having to come to terms with loss, life and a new love which is disastrous and India coming to terms with the loss of her husband who committed suicide.

I am only touching on the book so these are still teasers. There is a great deal more in the book - a light paced read about women bonding against several odds. A 3 out of 5 for me.

3 comments:

  1. I do like stories focusing on friendship, the joys and trials so I might see if my library has this one. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this on audiobook .. and I think I might have liked it more in print; however, it was still just an OK 3 out of 5 read for me as well. Maybe because I didn't have any real sympathy for any of the main characters ...

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listened to this one audio too and would agree with you and Julie that is was okay but not great. I have another of hers waiting and hope it is a little more engaging.

    ReplyDelete