My Blog List

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Review - Recipe for Life by Nicky Pellegrino



The book transports you to a "nice" world of warm Italian sun, gorgeous food which is most important - continuous and a companionable world of people who are friendly and kind.

The book is divided into little chapters of each character and how they are faring at that particular stage in their lives is spread over quite a long period of time so that one is able to see progress and development of each person. The book deals with Alice a promising chef who loves food and who would like to make this her career and Babetta an older woman who caretakes along with her husband the Villa Rosa which forms the center of this story.

How the characters interact and how the ancilliary characters form part of the major story is also interesting in this book. Like all good stories the human elements of passion, envy, competitiveness, sibling rivalry and lack of communication - all bring additional interest. All the characters have their little flaws and this makes it very plausible. No one is picture perfect. Add to this gorgeous Italian food which is actually made to look very simple and rustic and you have a very good story.

If you want a warm, affectionate read this is a book for you. It takes you to a place where once you finish the book you will be feeling fuzzy - I hope that is an adequate description! I enjoyed this book of 340 pages in a font which again was very easy on the eye considering that I finished the book at 3 a.m.

5 comments:

  1. This seems like a great book. The cover especially appeals to me. Thanks for blogging about it as the title is NEW to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like that fuzzy feeling, and the cover just says the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like my kind of book! I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books that leave me feeling fuzzy! What a great review!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete