My Blog List

Friday, January 28, 2011

Review - The Good Liar by Laura Caldwell

This was a win from The Book Depository. It is from the wins as you would surmise that I get such a wide range of reading material as I would never have access to so many genres out here in Sri Lanka. For this I am eternally grateful.

Kate recently divorced, vulnerable and lonely is set up on a date by her best friend Liza. Michael is seventeen years older but from the first moment on the chemistry seems magical and within a short period Kate and Michael are married.Unbeknown to Kate, Michael has a rather colorful history. He is a spy, a professional marksmen, someone who has murdered for his country and all this is unknown to Kate.

The story unravels slowly - with many twists and turns. Michael wants to get out of the organization which has held him so tightly but finds it almost impossible to do so. The ramifications of getting out are as big as getting in and seem insurmountable. Kate is bewildered as she feels Michael has many secrets which she is unaware of but no amount of imagination prepares Kate for Michael's past.

Caldwell keeps the story at a high level of tension throughout. Though the story unravels slowly you unmistakably feel that every turn of the page is going to bring you something different and even more complicated than before. This was a nice Friday evening read which I really needed after a hard working week.

5 comments:

  1. I love wins, they have introduced me to so many books I would not have otherwise :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the win and it looks like a good book!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you won this one! I'm addicted to winning books- so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have had some great thrillers lately. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete