My Blog List

Monday, January 10, 2011

Review = Think of a Number by John Verdon


This book was a win for me and I am so glad I won it. It started a bit slowly for me. Someone receives an envelope with a verse in it - saying think of a number and the next envelope he opens has the identical number he thought of. Completely illogical and for me till I was half way through the book totally incomprehensible. That was kept you going till you find what and how it is going to work.

Gurney a retired NYPD detective is drawn into the mystery due to a school going friendship with Melllery and in turn is drawn into a web of four and later five murders. All seemingly unconnected, all seemingly random, all meticulously planned, all the work of a very clever, pathologically twisted killer.

The police drawn over several states are all baffled at the aspects of the case. Is it someone who has a grudge against alcoholics, is it someone who has a personal axe to grind with each of these victims, what is the fact that is common to all the victims.. The questions are numerous and the end result is totally unexpected.

More than finding out who the murderer was, for me the star of the show was the how it was planned. A twisted mind and a good detective story. Keeps you puzzled and on edge till the end.
This is a debut novel so I do hope we will have more from this author.

11 comments:

  1. This book was quite intriguing for me. I hope he writes more about these characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I snagged this one for my mom at BEA...I think she really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really been wanting to read this for a while now. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy that you enjoyed it :D
    There are a few genres I do not read, this being one of them, but I always store them at the back of my head and tell a friend about them

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great page turner!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a lot of mysteries and detective novels and this is a new one I hadn't heard of before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that sounds really interesting!!! Might have to go on my ever-growing reminder list :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this hanging around- I should read it, since I love a good thriller. :-) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful review! This book was a winner with both me and The Big Guy. We loved it and hope Verdun has another one in the works.

    Have a great new year and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is on my Wishlist, look forward to reading it more now.

    ReplyDelete