My Blog List

Saturday, December 3, 2011

REVIEW - THE DEAD TRAVEL FAST - DEANNA RAYBOURN

I am not a fan of vampires so this was a surprising choice for me but boy didn't I just love the book!! I have read this authors books generally murder and mystery and Lady Julia Grey - this was different.

Theodora Lestrange is anyway different - she does not fit the norm for young women of her age and era. She is not willing to think of marriage as the ultimate for her life. She would like to be independent, like to develop her career in writing a bit further and make a life for herself. She has faith in her abilities and knows that given the right atmosphere she could come up with a very good novel.

Fate intervenes and she is invited by a class friend for a wedding and for an extended stay in Rumania. Transylvannia the land of myths, vampires, fantasy and what not. Theodora is not like Julia - the book is more gothic romance than mystery murder in genre but nevertheless very enjoyable. At the beginning I was disappointed with our Count who was only interested in seducing Theodora and it was nice that it ended happily! The other players in the story had surprising facets to their characters

It has changed my opinion on vampires and I think I will read more of this gothic genre. It made for a very nice change of scene and pace.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read too many vampire books either but they can be "bloody" gripping. There's a whole new readership for vampires out there, especially in YA fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun read! Enjoy your Sunday!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not big on vampire fiction either but your review has me adding the title to my "look for" list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not that I love my vamps, no they are amusing, so I would surely like it then

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always nice when you find a good book outside your comfort zone and it opens up a whole new genre.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this one, too, Mystica. I like the ambiguity of "is he" or "isn't he" a vampire and sheds light on how people perceive things based on rumors and preconceptions. It was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the only Deanna Raybourn book I haven't read. I have it on my shelf so I'm glad it's a winner :)

    ReplyDelete