My Blog List

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

REVIEW - MAJOR PETTIGREW'S LAST STAND BY HELEN SIMONSON

Why are my images so blurry??? This book was finished in a day - reading at the bus station/train station/waiting for my daughter - just had to finish it today. The anticipation of would he or would he chicken out had me on edge so very much now it seems laughable!!!

Major Pettigrew very English (if there could be a description as such) with immaculate values and views lives in an idyllic English village complete with village shop now run by Mrs Ali - effacing, wanting to fit in with the neighbourhood, never been quite accepted, cultured, pretty, educated and widowed. We have miscellaneous characters like the greedy son Roger, the religious bordering on fanatic nephew Abdul Wahid who is inheriting the property as he is the nephew, we have a separate love triangle of George and Amina and Abdul Wahid (nothing is as simple as it looks) and we have the hierarchy of the English village ranging from the Lord of the Manor and his daughter, to the rich American who is intent on making a fast buck (I would like to see this stereotype of Americans being brash with their money removed from books. It is not fair!), and we have a Vicar whom I did not like when he sided with the conservative rather than for what was right when it suited him.

A beautiful story, descriptive of an age and of the characters of a typical (what we think) an English retired Major of the Army should be like - loved the chivalry and politeness of this character along with his strong sense of values and of what is right is might. A love story which did not turn soppy. The book was also very insightful of the characters of people - how insular we all could be and all it needs is a slight provocation to get us all rattled.

Wonderful read and so right for this time of the year. I am still smiling.

10 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I thought the Major and Mrs. Ali were fantastic characters. I am hoping it will be made into a film (as long as it is done right). I am glad you enjoyed the book too. Very nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The image is blurry because it's too small and the size has been increased past the pixel count available - so it is all pixelated :)

    I don't think this book is really for me but I appreciate your review :)

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listened to the audiobook and loved it. It's one of my favorite books read this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own this book. From your review, it sounds like I really need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see you really enjoyed this book and that the love story wasn't over the top. I'll keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many seems to love this one, can't believe you got through it in one day, sounds like the perfect Dec read.

    Happy New Year Mystica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful book, I just loved it. I wish Simonson would come out with a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought this for my sister last year, hoping she'd read it and then pass it on to me. So far, that hasn't happened. I think I need to give her a nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Mystica! It seems just the perfect book to read this weekend but I will have to be patient...I am only going off island in 2 weeks! On my list though and I think, on top ot it as well!
    Wishing you and your loved ones a happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice blog. Great reviews and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete