My Blog List

Monday, March 12, 2012

Mailbox Monday/It's Monday - What are you Reading?


Mailbox Monday is a meme sponsored for the month of March by Diary of an Eccentric.

This meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

I had three wonderful books come into the house this week. Two were purchases and one was a win.

A Pulitzer prize winner.

A psychological thriller. Also quite representative of the statement be careful of what you wish for! you may not like what you get. Nadine is so keen to look for her birth mother and what she unravels is not exactly what she was looking for.

The third was the book win. A real chunkster on Julia Child from spicelines. A delightful blog not just on cooking but so much information on everything related to food.

Reviews on my blog have been particularly slow whilst I try to balance home in Colombo and home in Rozella (where there is no internet). Book reading goes on apace though.

Right now reading Middlesex. Once I finish this one I get on to a couple of books by Sri Lankan authors - Ru Freeman's A Disobedient Girl and the hilarious, tongue in the cheek humour of a Sri Lankan author J B Muller who writes specifically about the Burgher community in Sri Lanka. The Burghers are of mixed race - either Dutch, Portuguese or British who have married into the local communities and whose numbers are declining in this country today.  They have contributed immensely not just to the civil service, but also to the development of the English language and have added greatly to our culinary traditions.

Looking forward to visiting other blogger's mailboxes.



19 comments:

  1. These two books look very good. The situation of adopted children looking for their real parents is a good one for writers. This one sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Middlesex before I started blogging (I think). I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Never Knowing...hope you do, too. Thanks for visiting my blog, and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never Knowing sounds scary ( but in a good way)! Enjoy your new books, Mystica.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to try Chevy Stevens's books. My sister said Still Missing was good and I also want to read Never Knowing. I have the Ru Freeman book but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful mailbox! Happy reading!!!

    Here is my post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never knowing sounds good to me.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/03/mailbox-monday_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both novels look wonderful. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed Middlesex. Enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Middlesex is a fantastic book! I haven't read anything by Chevy Stevens but I have Never Knowing on my "some day" list. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Middlesex is supposed to be fantastic! Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never Knowing looks good. I read her first book and thought it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Middlesex is one of my favorite books ever --enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found my copy of Middlesex. I might give it a re-read.

    My goal is to finish Angelology. Please come see what else I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It must be difficult to live between two places Mystica.

    I hope you enjoy Never Knowing!

    Have a great reading week!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a copy of Middlesex but I haven't read it yet... it's such a huge book I keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed Middlesex a lot, hope you do too!

    No internet is no excuse, Mystica! You can write the reviews on your computer (which I assume you do have with you) and then post them when you do have internet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never Knowing is a page turner! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete