My Blog List

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

THE PURSUIT OF LOVE by NANCY MITFORD


From the beginning you are drawn into this story.  The story of the Radletts seem to follow the pursuits of the Mitford family, one of the most notorious of the aristocratic families of the 20th century. From using children as bloodhounds when foxes were not available for the hunt, to the strange Lord Alconleigh (hated foreigners, refused to go anywhere for a meal, had no qualms about being extremely rude to anyone including his children, refused to educate his daughters as he felt it un-necessary) to the gentle wife Sadie and their varied seven children.

Each child different, unique and in some cases peculiar Mitford's clever use of language follows the family's marriages and love affairs and the ups and downs of this enormously interesting family. Narrated by Fanny who is brought up as one of the family as her father has deserted her mother (known to all as the Bolter). Fanny's story is almost by the way as it is just so "ordinary" having married and had three children and in love with her husband as against the high jinks of the rest of the family.

Downright funny and very readable the antics of the family follow the Mitford family themselves. Anyone who is interested in the family saga type of book coupled with historical fiction would enjoy this book set amidst WWI as a background at one stage of the book.

It certaily has whetted my appetite for more Mitford and I would dearly like to get my hands on The Mitford Sisters biography. I was not very interested in Love in a Cold Climate but this book has got me going again on anything Mitford.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked this. I'll have to read it soon (it's on my bookshelf!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're adding books to my tbr list! I love family books and it's set in one of my favourite time periods.

    ReplyDelete