My Blog List

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

GOOD EVENING MRS CRAVEN - THE WARTIME STORIES OF MOLLY PANTER-DOWNES


My first Persephone book and what a fabulous book it was. This is one of those books that you want to keep on your bedside and look at it once in a while! for me the feeling was one of Jane Austen and Delafield and a bit of Downton Abbey combined!

Set during the 1939 to 1944 period twenty one stories depicting wartime Britain in its very essence (I presume). The quirky characteristics of the retired military now air raid wardens, the Cockney Londoners sent down to the countryside for the duration of the war and now finding their feet in a new country almost, the difficulty of country people trying very hard to accept the new visitors to their homes and hearths, the heartbreak of young love,  the newly married, and the not so newly married gentry who are desperately trying to keep a stiff upper lip and maintain immaculate homes and gardens sans gardeners and maids.

WWI and WWII were horrific and introduced Europe to a brutality that they had almost forgotton. These stories show the other side of the coin. How those at home were forced to cope with circumstances beyond their control and in the case of WWII which seemed to go on forever.
I loved how it showed British spirit - the way of making do, not complaining and just getting on with it. A lesson somewhere for everyone.

A book everyone should read. Thanks to Ali for this win.





6 comments:

  1. Bravo Mystica!! Love your post and on my list (this one to purchase).
    You bring readers just the right incentive to pursue interesting tomes! I lost count of how many titles I have added to my list thanks to you!
    All the best to you and yours,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I'm dying to read this one -- it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you enjoyed it. I've been coveting it for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read a Persephone book - this sounds like a good one to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this was an excellent collection (and I enjoyed being reminded of its loveliness in your review!).

    ReplyDelete