My Blog List

Monday, August 6, 2012

THE TEA ROSE BY JENNIFER DONNELLY

For the last two days I was not able to access any blog on blogspot.com and that included opening my own blog. Did anyone else have this problem? I missed out on Mailbox Monday/It's Monday What Are you Reading? as well.

I have been keeping an eye out for the Rose series of Jennifer Donnelly and at last got to this one.
Set in East London in 1888 I was very interested initially as it involved the tea trade (one that I am involved in as well) but this became a fascinating rags to riches story apart from moving from the poverty of London to the richly paved streets of America where our Fiona finds her pot of gold - albeit after a harrowing tale of death, destruction, bone chilling poverty and hearbreak.

I enjoyed the description of how the East London markets operated - from its barrows and costers to the bigger shops and then to Manhattan's more cosmopolitan markets and how trade developed to the fine art of shops like Harrods today.  The behind the scenes activity of the market trade made for a fascinating read and mixed with our absolutely dynamic heroine who you knew from the very beginning had to come out tops.

An enjoyable read.

16 comments:

  1. I've got this book on my wishlist and it's good to hear that you enjoyed it so much!

    Have a great week this week - I hope blogger keeps working now.

    I haven't been able to subscribe to comments on blogger blogs the last few days. I wonder if that's related.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have problems accessing blogger -- it is so frustrating!

    Been eyeballing this series myself -- I understand they're dramatically fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good read Mystica and thank you for sharing! Almost through with 'The Red Scarf' (cannot put it down!)
    No problem so far with BLogger.com but then with sporadic internet service, I can hardly tell!
    All the best,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger often doesn't like me...sometimes I give up and come back later.

    I have been wanting to read this author...enjoy! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An historical novel I'd love to read. Thanks for an interesting review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard that whole series is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this a few years ago and liked it. Always meant to get back to the series but just haven't been able to yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have noticed any Blogger problems, but did not get on until today. I loved the Rose series. The next two are just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this story, glad u enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the Tea Rose, and the next one is even better!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard amazing things about this series. Did you read her REVOLUTION? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard of this series but haven't read any of them yet.

    I haven't had any problem visiting or commenting on blogger blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mystica - just to let you know that you won in the Mrs. Harris draw! Could you let me know your UK address - email me at simondavidthomas[at]yahoo.co.uk - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How frustrating not to have access to your blog! Heard of this series, but never read them. Glad you enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That really stinks about your blogger troubles-I haven't experienced any recently but now I'm a bit worried.

    I have read and loved Donnelly's two YA books which are what interested me in checking out her adult book. Since her YA rocks, I'm hoping the same will be true for this series!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was one of my favorite books in 2009 but I haven't read the next two. Loved the Jack the Ripper arc too.

    ReplyDelete