My Blog List

Sunday, November 4, 2012

HUMAN CROQUET - KATE ATKINSON


I did not know anything about this book so went into it totally unaware of how or what it was. We read reviews about books and then we have invariably a pre-conceived idea of the story and the way it works. 

This was going in blind to a story that is part fairy tale, part factual, part fantasy and part pathos.
Told from the point of view of two children, it is very often a sad tale - of how neglect and abandonment by any parent (one is bad enough, two is horrible) can change a child. Not just the personality or character of the child but how they view the whole world and everyone in it. I found the way the children's lives were turned upside down extremely sad.

Having said that about the sadness bit, the book was very interestingly written. Going from past, to present to even future, the fantasy genre is not one I am very familiar with and this was a good start for me to get going with. The future part was plausible and the fantasy part was not too way out for me!!!!

This is a good example of modern story telling.

I am behind on reviews again and even posting as was out of Colombo and just got back. Now its Monday morning and heaps of work!

2 comments:

  1. I love this authors works, so I'll be watching for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen this one around. Thanks for your thoughts on it because I'm not sure I would have picked it up knowing about the fantasy part but if it worked for you, I know it will work for me, too.

    ReplyDelete