My Blog List

Thursday, June 27, 2013

WHATEVER YOU LOVE by LOUISE DOUGHTY

Whatever You Love


This is the stuff of nightmares. Two police officers knock at one's door and say your child has been killed in a car accident.


The story is set in a small English town. A feature of this town is that there is a newly formed immigrant community, not really integrated into the life of the community and also nervous and fearful of  the attitude of their English neighbours. The car that killed Betty is driven by a man from this community.

On the surface it seems that though traumatic Laura is coping. That is just an outside show. Laura is not coping at all and she is lost. Her marriage is in ruins - her husband is having a new partner with a baby on the way, the office is very sympathetic and all friends and neighbours are walking on eggshells where the subject of Betty is concerned. Laura appears calm and controlled. She maintains this facade but it starts to crack when the court deems the death an accident.

What happens to justice as seen on the side of the victim. Is one willing to see someone walk away scot free and how will Laura cope with this verdict. The story puts you the reader on the spot. You have to face very nasty, hard questions. What will you do in the circumstances and do you really understand Laura's subsequent actions and behaviour.

This was a tough read. A question that one would shy away from. I doubt anyone would want to willingly face the question head on. Described on Goodreads as a poignant, psychological story - I'd say the description is spot on. 

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a heart-wrenching book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this seems powerful, but I do want to read it. Loved your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like my kind of book. Adding this to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure I could read this one. I have young kids and this would be hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound like a tough read but I'm drawn to books like that for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a thought-provoking read. I think I'll put it on my list! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete