My Blog List

Saturday, September 21, 2013

DAUGHTER OF JERUSALEM by JOAN WOLF





Daughter of Jerusalem: a novel


This was a win from Noelle at Live a little Dream.

Mary of Magdala commonly known as Mary Magdalene is a well known if slightly controversial figure amongst Catholics. Favoured by Jesus, looked askance by many of the local populace (her past preceded her) she overcame all obstacles and used her skill, intelligence and wealth for the betterment of those who were not so well off and very importantly did it anonymously. At a time when the priests in the Temples seemed only interested in money making and making more money, Mary of Magdala stood out as someone different. No small wonder she had a special bond with Jesus.

I enjoy history in all its forms so this book was ideal for me. Set at the time of Jesus's birth and his time here on earth, the chronicles of the Romans, their position in Jewish society and how the Jews wanted so badly to get rid of them is also very much part of the story and the history of Jesus and Mary Magdalene.

The over riding fact that I derived from this story is that Mary had unshakeable faith.  It never questioned Jesus's actions or his reactions. Each of his disciples including his step brothers questioned the validity of his actions or asked him to justify his decisions. It was only Mary who never questioned, never faltered in her faith.

Good example for a lot of us. Not relating to this faith per se, but to have faith in whatever we trust.

4 comments:

  1. Great review Mystica and so glad you enjoyed the book!
    All the best,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this one around but it does sound like one I'd enjoy. And I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours is the first review I've read of this one Mystica, glad you enjoyed it. I'm definitely interested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this one was pretty cool and I loved her faith, a good example as you say for our own lives.

    ReplyDelete