My Blog List

Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Lady at Willowgrove Hall by Sarah E. Ladd



Cecily comes to Willowgrove Hall with plenty of secrets, most of which she would like to hide. She is literally abandoned by her father after he discovered her secret of eloping with Andrew Morton. She was thrust into the school for girls where she remained till she got this appointment at Willowgrove Hall. She would not like her employer to know her past history but circumstances and events are all out of Cecily's control.

Cecily's arrival at the Hall itself is dramatic. She comes when the place is flooded and access to the Hall is not possible. She is rescued by the steward who takes her to his own home till she is able to go to the Hall.  On arrival there she finds to her dismay that the owner's nephew is her errant lover and who is now engaged to another. Another secret that she does not want known. She had thought Andrew was out of her life completely and now he is there large as life and apparently also not wanting it known that his Aunt's companion was once his lover.

Despite the odds against her, Cecily wins the favour of her dying mistress as well as the faithful companion and creates a niche for herself in this house. Cecily knows her period in this house is limited to the length of her mistress's life and when this ends she herself will be without a home. What she did not take into account is that she will find a new love here which will be for her, her saving.

Nathaniel Stanton who is the steward for the estate has his own secrets, known to just a few people. He has got to know of them only recently and considers it a huge burden and one he wants to escape from. He too is tied to Willowgrove Hall and is waiting for his release which will also come with the death of the current mistress.

How it all ties together is the story created by this author. Regency romance it is, but it also brings in a nice touch of family drama and secrets which have to come out - at least in a way which brings not sadness but solace and a form of happiness at the end.

This book was also sent to me via Netgalley via Thomas Nelson publishers.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! I love the dress on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely and such a pretty cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I've ever tried a Regency romance. I agree with everyone else - the cover is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a lovely cover. I like a good Regency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good one and the cover is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cover! It sounds like a wonderful book. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mystica,

    Historical Romance isn't my preferred genre, although I do indulge from time to time, when a book really captures my interest.

    Sarah is a new to me author and I have to admit that I have added all three of her books to my 'Want To Read' list, I just couldn't resist!

    It will be ages before I actually get to read them no doubt, so meanwhile, thank you for your review and recommendation, they sold it to me!

    Have a good week,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so good. I've seen it around a few blogs.

    ReplyDelete