My Blog List

Sunday, December 27, 2015

The Forgotten Room




I had not read a book written by three different authors and what brilliant writers each of them are. This is what attracted me to this book. I knew it had to be very good and very good it was.

Told in three different time lines each story was dramatic and full of suspense. Each story was from the beginning linked to another so that you knew at the end it was going to come together, happily or not. There was so much sadness, separation, hardship during the course of each story that it was not an easy read at all but I kept going because the characterization was so very good and each woman in the story was made of really good stuff and extremely admirable (in each circumstance). Very strong, very much to be admired women.

1945 Dr Kate Schuyler facing antagonism just for being a female doctor not just from fellow doctors but even from fellow nurses who feel that she is above them and she should be just one of them. There is Lucy looking for the father she feels is out there and someone she never knew and Olive who works as a servant in the mansion designed by her father and is bitter towards the people who now occupy it.

The period in which each story was set was also a tumultuous time not just for America but for the whole world - a time of much change especially for women and this was also a highlight of this book.

The stories blend and contrast very well and though at times I found it a bit difficult to keep the stories apart - the book in itself is a wonderful read.

Sent to me by Netgalley courtesy of Penguin Group Berkeley.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I love Lauren Willig's books and I like Beatriz Williams. I will have to look for this. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear you liked it. I'll be spotlighting it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am eager to read this one. I have read something by Lauren Willig just this year and loved it and I enjoy Karen White's writing. Beatriz Williams is new to me. I love the idea of this book and am glad to hear the authors were able to put it together so well. Thank you for your lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just started seeing the positive reviews of this one. I'm a fan of the first two authors so I need to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear their writing blended together so well. This sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Mystica. I hope the New year is especially good to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete