My Blog List

Monday, June 20, 2016

The Living by Anjali Joseph




Two alternate lives - Claire working in a shoe factory in England and Arun working as a chappal maker (which is featured on the cover) in Kohalpur. He is just doing what his father and grandfather before him did. Both characters lead humdrum lives and both wonder what would have happened if things had worked out differently in their respective worlds.

I unfortunately did not understand that the book was portraying the two lives and the workings of the mind of the characters till the very end. The portrayal of daily life, the humdrum and the extraordinary were both depicted in detail.

The book was sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review courtesy of Harper Collins UK 4th Estate.  

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like it got bogged down in unnecessary details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I'd enjoy this one but a pretty cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I like the minutiae of a life (or lives) so a maybe from me!

    ReplyDelete