My Blog List

Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Woman On the Orient Express by Lindsay Jayne Ashford



Agatha Christie has been for me a comfort read from the time I was a teenager. I still like to re-read her stories. Knowing that this was about her was such a good reason to read this book and I loved it.\

Set on the Orient Express and so very descriptive of both the journey and its surroundings, we hear of the adventure of Agatha and two other women both destined for Iraq. One who is escaping her husband the other to Ur to an archaeological site and a very complicated personal life. Evocative of Agatha Christie's own books this story draws you into the life of these three women, each escaping London for reasons of their own.

Agatha has had an upheaval in her life. Her husband has asked for a divorce to marry his mistress and after the episode of Agatha disappearing for a while, she is "hot news". She just wants to disappear again to avoid the notoriety of a divorce which for this time period is still a scandal. Katharine wants to continue with her career and finds that other than through marriage there is no way a single woman will be allowed to work on the site and Nancy is hiding her pregnancy, trying to escape an abusive and philandering husband.

The widely differing lives of the three women, drawn together through personal suffering and loss is
very well told.

The book was sent to me by Netgalley courtesy of Lake Union Publishing, for an unbiased review.













4 comments:

  1. This one sounds like a very good read I like stories that weave three characters takes into the over big picture of the book. Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this one, but I was a big Agatha Christie fan when I was in high school, so I'll have to keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like one I'd enjoy. I'm a big Agatha Christie fan too.

    ReplyDelete