My Blog List

Saturday, August 5, 2017

the mother's promise by Sally Hepworth




Living a quiet life Alice and her daughter Zoe seem to be dependant on each other. Zoe has social anxiety problems and Alice is fiercely protective of her. Unexpectedly facing critical illness Alice knows her days are numbered and she has to find solace and protection for Zoe who is going to be alone and ill equipped to face a world alone.

Leaning on two women who are practically strangers, one a nurse and one a social worker she tries to form a protective web for Zoe once she is gone. With no father figure and never having mentioned him, Zoe has no idea of who he is. Now Alice has to prepare Zoe for a time when she will be alone.

The story of families is one which the author seems to have a special knack for. Emotional, tense and uplifting the story is one of both betrayal, forgiveness and love.

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review courtesy of St. Martin's Press.



5 comments:

  1. This does sound very emotional. I'll have to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this one and it is sitting on my shelf TBR. I have liked her other books so am hoping I will like this one too when I get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds heart wrenching, but good. Thanks for the review - this author is new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, she has a knack for writing about families. I liked this novel.

    ReplyDelete