My Blog List

Friday, September 15, 2017

Chains of Sand Jemma Wayne



I had not read a book with a Middle Eastern background for a very long time and this one with its cross culture mix. Jews in England, Jews in Israel, Muslims in Israel and the attitudes of one community towards another in an area of heightened tension like Gaza or Tel Aviv was an interesting read.

Udi wants a new life. Something that he can be comfortable with. He is Jewish to the core but is struggling with life in Israel. He wants to go and work in London.  Daniel lives a very comfortable life in London as a banker, he wants to move to Israel much to the horror of his family and his girl friend. Why give a comfortable secure life for the certainties of war and being called up as a reservist at any time.

Both men trying to find their place in the world - both very close to their families but seeking something that they are not very sure what.

This was a complicated novel but it may be a question that a lot of young people face. The restless ones anyway.

A book that set you thinking whether we are ever going to have peace in the Middle East.

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Legend Press.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a complicated story that doesn't wrap up neatly. And at this point I'm doubtful about the possibility of peace in the ME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mystica, you're reading a lot of interesting books, including this one. I like the Middle East setting, particularly as I read a lot about that region.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting book! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of this one before. However, I am not sure if this one is for me.

    ReplyDelete